This year ramadan runs from the 27th of May till the 25th of June 2017.
Ramadan refers to the holy month of fasting (saum) and prayer for all adult Muslims and is one of the five pillars of Islam. It annually takes place on the 9th month of the Islamic calendar between the sighting of a new moon (crescent moon) and the following one, 30 days later. This year it is from the 27th May to the 25th June.
Between sunrise and sunset, adult Muslims are required to abstain from any food and drink. This includes chewing gum and smoking cigarettes. The main focus is on prayers and reciting the Quran as it is the month in which the prophet Mohammed received his revelations. Muslims are to practice self- control, deny bodily needs like food, sexual relations and abstain from bad behaviour and arguments. The month is all about denying self and submitting to God.
- The only people who are exempt from fasting are those who are too young or old, the sick, pregnant, breastfeeding or traveling.
Why pray during Ramadan?
It is God’s will that all should be saved. (2 Pet 3:9)
- Jesus commissioned all Christians to make disciples of all nations. (Mat 28:19-20)
- The Lord has compassion on all He has made. (Ps 145:9)
- He wants His people to stand in the gap for others. (Ezk. 22:30)
- Christians have to represent Jesus and His heart of compassion to non-believers. (Acts 9:15; 26:17)
- He desires to bring salvation to the ends of the earth. (Is. 49:6)
- Since the start of the prayer movement for the Muslim world in 1992/93, more conversions were recorded than in centuries before. During the first 350 years of Islam’s existence, there was only one movement towards Christianity in the Muslim world. This all changed in the last parts of the 20th century with moves of the Holy Spirit in different countries. Just in the last 14/15 years, 69 movements towards Christ were recorded!!! Praise the Lord!
- It is a way for Christians to identify themselves with the needs of a lost Muslim world.
Therefore, let us not grow weary and tired of asking Him for Muslim nations as our inheritance, but keep our lamps burning and dressed for service! (Psalms 2:8, Luke 12:35)