‘For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.’ (Heb.4:12) We ask Lord Jesus to penetrate the hardest hearts and give them a heart of flesh with your commandments written on it.
Lift up your heads, you gates; be lifted up, you ancient doors in Tunisia, that the King of glory may come in. (Ps 24:7)
I wondered how I’d get to enter the conversation and turn it to faith while the taxi driver and his front seat passenger chatted away. Eventually the chance came and I asked the driver if he’d ever read the other of God’s books, he said he hadn’t. We discussed reasons to read God’s books and then the men said, “You’ve caught us!” So I asked why the driver hadn’t read it and he said, “Because no one ever handed it to me and said, ‘Read this.'” Umm, if that’s not an invitation, what is?! I took my cue and told him I could do that for him. So I did, handed him the New Testament, he took it and told his friend that it’s true, the book should be read.
How to pray :
- Pray that all of God’s Word that has been given out over the years in Morocco will be remembered, brought out again, read diligently, treasured and shared.
- Pray that God’s Word would come alive as people read it. May it speak into their circumstances. May it cause more hunger for Truth.
- Ask that God will bring people who are seeking for Jesus into the lives of national believers and workers in Morocco. Pray for divine appointments and conversations.
The devil has been taking people captive to do his will (2 Timothy 2:26) since the fall of man. The land and kingdoms of this earth are controlled by him (Matthew 4:8-9). As we think about advancing the Kingdom of God we know that there is a fight between two kingdoms. There are places in Mauritania that have been controlled for years by the devil. Pray that the land of Mauritania will be freed from the devil and his control. Pray that the hearts of Mauritanian Muslims would be freed from the hardness the devil places there, especially the hardness against knowing Jesus the Son of God and the full truths about Jesus. Pray for a growing movement among people who will seek Jesus to advance His great name in families, villages, towns and cities across Mauritania. The devil has been in control too long, we are seeking the God of all creation to have a great victory in Mauritania. Today we pray that God will come and bring freedom to the captives in Mauritania.
A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone, be able to teach, and be patient with difficult people. Gently instruct those who oppose the truth. Perhaps God will change those people’s hearts, and they will learn the truth. Then they will come to their senses and escape from the devil’s trap. For they have been held captive by him to do whatever he wants.
—2 Timothy 2:24-26
Next the devil took him to the peak of a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. “I will give it all to you,” he said, “if you will kneel down and worship me.”
What did Jesus respond? “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’”
“Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you.”
As 2013 came to an end and preparations made for a special year of prayer for Libya, the Lord ‘dusted’ this war-torn country with his beauty from above. Although snow is quite a natural weather phenomenon in winter, it is not the ‘norm’ in this part of the world. In general, Libya is associated rather with heat, sand and oil. But, when seeing these photographs taken in Tarhuna, 80km south of Tripoli on 30th December 2014, Isaiah 55:10-11 came to mind.
As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
Tarhuna and country side
It is as if the Lord confirmed through the snowfall that His Word through the prayers of 2014 will accomplish His desires for Libya. Nobody can prevent rain or melted snow to filter into the soil and wet the seeds. Going through other scriptures about snow in the Bible, proofed to be quite applicable for the current situation in the country.
- The ‘storehouses of snow’ are reserved for ‘troubled times, or days of war and battle’ (Job 38:22,23) It is as if the Lord if trying to remind the people of Libya to look at Him for a solution and not political parties and different factions.
- “He says to the snow, ‘Fall on the earth, … so that all men he has made may know his work.” (Job 37:6-7) May Libyans truly seek Him this year and come to know Him through his work in creation!
- The snowfall is also an invitation to the Libyan people to come to Father to wash our sins away.
“Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the Lord. “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. —Isaiah 1:18
Those who choose to be washed, will be worthy of walking with Him. (Rev 3:4)
Snow also refreshes the earth and our souls.(Proverbs 25:13)
May this snowfall be a prophetic reminder of Father’s good plans for Libyans and that His desire is for ALL people to be saved.
Prayer for 2015
Thank you, Lord for covering Libya with your refreshing snow from your heavenly storehouse. May this remind our brothers and sisters daily of the Righteous One, covering our sins. You are the Living Water, a never ending stream of life-giving source. We thank and praise you that the melting snow will symbolically feed the seeds of your Word sown through the ages in this region. Although we cannot see underground water, we know it is there. We know and believe your Word cannot be chained by machine guns or return empty, but will accomplish your desires. We long to see new plants appearing this year as we pray for the land to be restored. To You, all the praise, glory and honour. Amen!
Lord Jesus, we pray for the church in Libya today. We pray that they may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience (Col 1:10-11)
Prayer focus: Egyptian Youth:
In spite of the role the Egyptian youth played in the last 4 years of revolution, but the enemy has captured many of them in different traps like drugs, pornography, and atheism.
Let us pray in the coming week for a divine visitation for all the young Egyptian boys and girls between 18 and 35 years old.
Joel 2: 28 says about all the earth “And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions”
Let us stand in the gap on behalf of all the Egyptian youth, seeking the Lord to outpour his spirit, move his arm, and reveal himself to them in miraculous ways!
A few stories from workers in North Africa:
- We were talking with some ladies in the pharmacy who said the Bible had been changed. We invited them to come over and talk about that. It was a good discussion about the reliability of the 2 books. We asked them how they know the Qur’an is true? There were many answers but not very clear ones. “Because it’s God’s book.” “Because God gave it.” Or “Because of scientific knowledge contained in it.” But they were not able to produce further evidence. Later into the conversation, they were asking us, “How do you know your book is true? How can we know something is true, then?”.
- Recently we’ve had some conversations for an hour or two, sometimes 3 hours with people interested to talk about our faith. It wasn’t debating the same old things over and over, but good conversations complete with questions and attentive listening to our answers. One guy said he believed that God is one so how does it fit with the trinity? How can Jesus and God be the same? He really wanted to know more. He wanted to know how we know that Jesus is the Truth.
- 6 months ago the man in the shop across the road from where we live out of the blue asked me for a Bible. I gave him one and we have had several conversations since about what he is reading. Recently he asked me about the Bible having been changed and we had a really good conversation about the reliability of our Scriptures. Later he said, “I am just feeling confused. How do I know what is true?”
- Let’s call on our Heavenly Father today and ask Him to reveal the Truth! Only the Holy Spirit can do that! We can share and talk, and discuss and study, and look at Scriptures and pray. But then the Holy Spirit needs to come and bring revelation and understanding.
- Ask God to confirm the Truth about Jesus. Ask Him to breath on the Word that people are reading, causing it to come to life. At Pray North Africa, we have been challenged to pray with faith for great harvest across North Africa in 2015. Join with us and ask that these people in these stories will come to faith in Jesus Christ and bring many more with them into the Kingdom during 2015.
‘Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Saviour’ (Ps 25:4-5)
Lord, we pray that your children in Tunisia will come to You for wisdom, guidance and teaching in all circumstances.
“I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest,” declares the Lord. —Jeremiah 31:33,34
Pray that the true Lord of this world would be known in Algeria today!